– Victoria Anders, former fellow student & project partner @ Beuth University of Applied Sciences Berlin
My tasks: App-Concept, User Research, Wireframes, Information Architecture, Prototype, Interface Design, Usability Testing, Pitch
The experience of the museum is off. No modern techniques are used to make it better. This way the museum still uses old and outdated audioguides, signs for explanations and old school plans to navigate. The holders of the museum want a more intuitive and digital experience for the visitors that guide you easily from any point in the museum and is adaptive to the journey of the user.
Before going deep into working on concepts and ideas we visited the museum to get to know the place, trustees, employees and visitors. We developed a user journey of the current state to see the touchpoint within the location and figure out the problems people might get. After the first roughly defined concept we sat down and developed personas and their needs to get a better understanding out of our collected data from the research. Therefore we got three personas:
– The little girl with his dad, who wanted to have a more fun way of exploring
– The teenager who had to go with her class and needed to find the things she wanted to see
– The elderly man who wants to see everything and more
We quickly came to the conclusion that it would be a far better experience for everybody to use their own device around the museum rather than trying to get one from the reception. Because the effort to get a device or audio guide from the reception is to high for a lot of people. Thinking of our way the visitors can directly jump into the experience while have all information and guides on their device without too long of waiting. To get to the full experience of a freshly developed concept we thought of the idea to use the technology of iBeacons and NFC to receive push notifications while walking around.
After the first rough ideas we sat down to write a detailed feature list which was also based on our research data. We focused onto the iBeacon notification and group interactions to collaborate more with other visitors, family and friends. That’s why we decided to have a group function to invite people into specific groups while having that a group chat can be accessed within these. After quite a while of discussions and several brainstormings we came up with a list of 7 big points of features including navigation, personalisation, exhibits, technical stuff, sharing, glossary and even games. Under every point we got 3-4 feature ideas.
Following we started to sketch the first roadmap of the app and planned the information structure and menus how to get to every single feature.
Afterwards we drew our first wireframes. Out of these wireframes we build a paper prototype that we could test on real visitors going to the museum. In that tests we noticed that our concept so far was way to complex and we need to shrink the feature list to a minimum or only to the features that were understandable and at least useful for a better experience.
Later we sat down again to iterate our concept and analyse all the feedback we got to think about the new feature list and information architecture. With a more straight approach and concept we could start with the actual design of the app. The final color palette resulted out of the analysis of a picture from the museum itself. (Due to the many design proposals and tries I am only showing the final mockups here)
When the design was roughly ready to go we build a click dummy prototype for another testing session. This time we tested with real visitors again but also with focus groups of usability experts to get to know the biggest issues we may have build in.
After the last usability tests we started to finalise the project and with it the structure of the app and the design. Being two of us with different backgrounds in design we hadn’t had the time to do all screens within one design guideline but still we managed to share knowledge and we are happy that we could learn a lot from each other.
It is hard to do a app concept complete with two people only. While this was a university project we still got experience to work with real customers and a team. Several project teams in the course were in constant exchange to share knowledge and information.
We got the opportunity to pitch the project in front of two trustees of the museum and they were really happy with the outcome. Still it is sad that the museum didn’t had the budget to get the app concepts into production.